Have you ever had a dream? We all know that with enough hard work and dedication anything is possible! Here’s a simple inspirational step-by-step to help you achieve your dreams!
1. SET GOALS Create multiple year plans and create goals within specific time frames that you wish to accomplish them.
• Start with a one-year plan- What do you want to accomplish this year? It can be anything from getting a 4.0 to getting accepted to your favorite college. Applying for multiple scholarships. Pushing yourself and your team to win every competition this year. Anything you can think of, make it a goal and do whatever it takes to reach it!
• Then start asking yourself “Where do I see myself in 5 years?” Do you see yourself graduating college with a bachelor’s degree, possibly making plans to continue on to your Masters? Or are you thinking of taking a year off and studying abroad or possibly finding a job?
• Now think farther down the road and ask yourself, “How about 10 years from now?” Thinking more along the lines of having a great career and a house, a new car, possibly married and starting a family? It all seems crazy to think about but in perspective, these are key events that happen throughout a person’s life. Life will creep up on you and before you know it, you’ll ask yourself, “How did I get here?”
2. THINK REALISTICALLY It’s important to think about what steps are necessary to get you from point A to point B. Understanding what it’s going to take and what challenges you may face in order for you to obtain your goal and to keep you on the right track. It’s okay to dream big but give yourself enough time to get there. And don’t get discouraged if you get to a point in your life and you thought you’d have accomplished more. Times have changed since your parents were your age and the world is much different. As long as you never give up trying to get to where you want to be, you’re in good shape.
3. SPECIFIC STEPS It’s good to create your 1-5-10 year goals and then address the specific steps that you should take to reach each one. It gives you more of a path to follow instead of feeling like you’re just working your but off to get there, yet you don’t quite know how to get there.
• EXAMPLE: One-year goal – get accepted to college o I want to be a Veterinarian – what is the top-rated Veterinary College?
• Scout out the colleges and check out their programs, make sure it’s a good fit.
• Understand the challenges and the basic requirements of the programs before you decide that’s what you want to major in. Plans change ALL THE TIME.
• Extracurricular Activities – Greek Life? Clubs? Athletics? – Be sure to understand the requirements for each and when sign-ups take place.
• How am I going to pay for this? – Check into FAFSA and other Financial Aid/Loans. Don’t let the cost of college hold you back, remember ANYTHING is possible.
4. HAVE FUN It’s no good if you don’t enjoy life as it’s happening. Don’t be afraid to try new things, experiences are what we hold on to throughout life. Looking back on the things we’ve done and the mistakes we’ve made; they all make for great stories! REMEMBER TO LIVE, and not simply exist.